The Sam Active is a flexible posture support seating system, which can be configured and adjusted for adult users with intermediate to complex postural needs. The open design means it can be fitted with a variety of seat cushions and back systems to ensure an optimal fit for each individual user, providing comfort and the best alignment of the body.
It can be mounted on one of three of our mobility base frame options for users with varying levels of mobility skills. These include the Rigid 24 Active Base, Rigid 10 Manual Base and our motorised Powerbase option.
The Sam Active comes with a range of seat accessory and mobility base options.
Click to view and select the options most suitable for your needs.
Active Seating System
The Sam seat is available in 5 width sizes and can be adjusted in seat depth and Centre Of Gravity. An appropriate back system can be attached to the reclinable push handles to optimally position the user.
*Available in a 450mm depth and extra length 500mm.
The Sam is available with either our Tess Back rigid adjustable back system or Gibby Back System with tension adjustable straps for more complex posture support needs.
Open Back to Seat Angle
The back posts have up to 35° of rearward recline adjustment from 90° to 125° allowing for various fixed pelvic, hip and spinal deformities to be accommodated.
Pressure Care Seat Cushion
Each Sam comes standard with an adaptable, thick positioning pressure care seat cushion and waterproof cover. A stable chip foam base and thick high-density foam layer offer comfort, postural support and skin protection.
Padded Pelvic Strap
An adjustable padded pelvic strap is fitted as standard, helping maintain stability of the pelvis, the correct positioning of the user and preventing shear forces, a common cause of pressure sores amongst wheelchair users.
Adjustable Tilt in Space
Tilt-in-space adjustment is fitted as standard with each mobility base option.
It helps both for positioning and pressure relief.
Centre of Gravity (COG)
The C.O.G can easily be adjusted on the side of the seat to optimise the user’s access to the rear wheels. This adjustment allows for an ideal ergonomic setup to be achieved.
Seat Accessory Options
The Kidney type headrest is suitable for users with good neck control, but require a bit of extra support. It cups the back and sides of the head and nape of neck to promote the correct alignment and positioning of the head.
The gently angled side extensions of our innovative Mitt headrest provide proprioceptive feedback to the sides of the child’s face, and encourage children to independently realign the position of their head and thereby improve their neck control.
The Sam seat can be fitted with a set of height adjustable armrests. These can be removed when not in use or when the laptray needs to be fitted.
A removable height and depth adjustable laptray provides additional posture support to the upper body and a surface for daily activities.
Sam Padded Laptray
Similar in function to the Sam Laptray it is produced with durable vinyl covered foam padding.
Sam Clear Laptray
Similar in size and function to the Sam Laptray it is produced in a clear transparent Polycarbonate plastic.
Flip Up Footrest
The fold-away footrest can be adjusted in height to ensure the correct position of both feet and legs, improving sitting balance, providing comfort and ensuring optimal pressure distribution. It can fold out of the way enabling users to do standing transfers.
Where a more supportive foot rest is required a custom size and shape footbox is available.
*It cannot fold up.
Back System Options
A lightweight, rigid back system that can be adjusted and fitted to a wide range of manual and motorized wheelchairs for the user with basic to intermediate postural support needs.
TAB with LATS
Our simple independently adjustable rigid trunk side supports provide upper body support to users with intermediate posture support needs. They can be paired with a Tension Adjustable Back to provide contoured back support.
This effective contouring back system with integrated rigid trunk side supports is the perfect option for comfortably accommodating users with spinal deformities.
Mobility Base Frame Options
Rigid 24 Active Base Frame
Our posture support wheelchair base frame has standard 24” wheels and is suitable for users with varying abilities to self-propel.
The rugged frame was developed to be stronger than regular urban wheelchair frames and the longer wheelbase allows users with basic mobility skills to safely access more demanding terrain.
Rigid 10 Manual Base Frame
This simple rigid base frame was designed for attendant propelling applications where smaller 10” wheels are more suitable, such as care facilities and hospitals.
A sturdy steel base frame with strong front mounted motors and wheels are connected to an articulated rear castor wheel bar for smooth stable travel over uneven terrain.
This makes our powerbase option an ideal solution for users who want power assisted independent mobility paired with their seating system.
any size and dimensions for Sam Active?
Download the SamActive Buggy Brochure here.
Warranty and Terms & Conditions information
Shonaquip limited 1 (one) year warranty
- All Shonaquip devices are warranted against defects in material and workmanship for 1 (one) year from the date of delivery to you. Please retain original packaging for the warranty period.
- Appropriate arrangements must be made for all devices returned for warranty repair prior to return and be marked clearly on the return packaging. Shonaquip strongly recommends all devices to be returned in its original packaging.
Limitation of Warranty
- Warranties are null and void if you are found to be misusing or abusing the device, while under warranty.
- The warranty does not apply to any part of a device that has been installed, altered, repaired or misused in any way that, in the opinion of Shonaquip, would affect the reliability or detracts from the performance of any part of the device; or is damaged as a result of use in a way or with equipment that had not been previously approved by Shonaquip.
- The warranty does not apply to any device or parts thereof where the serial number or the serial number of its parts has been altered, defaced or removed.
- The warranty does not cover damage or loss incurred in transportation of the product.
- The warranty does not cover replacement of parts or repairs necessitated by loss or damage from any cause beyond the control of Shonaquip, such as lighting or other natural and weather related events or wartime environments.
- You may return an unsafe or defective device within 6 (six) months of purchase and request a repair, replacement or refund provided that the device has not been altered in any manner whatsoever.
- On delivery of custom made devices you are entitled to inspect the device. If, on this initial inspection, you find that the device does not reasonably conform to the specifications of your order then you may (i) refuse delivery, (ii) receive a full refund, and (iii) cancel without penalty. You will, however, not be entitled to return the device for the aforementioned reasons if the device, after having been supplied to you, has been partially or entirely disassembled, altered, added or combined with other goods or property.
- Appropriate arrangements should be made with Shonaquip to the return the device.
- Shipping / delivery charges will be subtracted from the refund.
- Please contact your local or nearest Shonaquip branch to make the appropriate arrangements for the return.
- Please supply the Shonaquip invoice when requesting a return